Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to School

It's already week three of the Fall 2012 semester (holy cow!) and I'm mostly in the swing of things; although my body is still waffling between a bright, shiny, energetic morning wake-up two minutes before my 5:15 a.m. alarm, and a soggy, sleepy wake-up, where my body resists and acts like a wet sack of flour until 8:30 a.m. when I'm dragging myself off the train to make the last couple of miles trek to campus.

Last week we had a student organization fair and I was there to recruit new members for our creative writing club, Writer's Block. Our wonderful group has been around for about four years, but last May, most of the steady members either transferred to four-year colleges or graduated. So although we're almost starting from scratch, I'm happy to say that we've got an excellent and promising new crew of about eight students. Here are some pictures from the organization fair where I tried to entice them with candy and an adorable stuffed penguin:

Dr. Thomas with some of the Dance Team gals--they remind me of when I was a high school cheerleader, so I had to include them (Photo Courtesy of MCC and the Office of Marketing and Public Relations)

Me and Donna, my former student/current Writer's Block member & club Secretary/OMPR writer (Photo Courtesy of MCC and the Office of Marketing and Public Relations)

Frank, my former student and president of the Drama Club (Photo Courtesy of MCC and the Office of Marketing and Public Relations)

So, that's the start of the year. Currently, all of my students are terrific and they seem to still like me (or at least they are still laughing at my awful jokes [although they haven't gotten any formal grades yet, so their attitudes might still change...]).

I've also started mentoring a terrific high school student through the Open Books VWrite mentorship program, so stay tuned for more on that. And happy September!

No comments: