Monday, August 9, 2010

Two Weekends Wrapped Up

I meant to post something at the end of last weekend, but I didn't get my act together in time. I'm finishing up the summer with end-of-semester grading and final planning for our Fall Faculty Workshop (on August 19), and since I'm such a procrastinator, I've saved all of it for the last minute. That means less time for blogging (and for sanity, as it turns out...).

But we've had some fun since our last post, so I figured I'd fill you in. Last weekend, I gathered a bunch of "treasures" I no longer needed to sell at my friend and fellow blogger Rory's garage sale. Rory, her other half, Matt, and their two sons, Cameron and Connor, have been dealing like champs with Cameron's health problems, so they set about for a garage sale to raise a bit of scratch and add some levity to a stressful weekend spent, by Rory and Cameron, in the hospital. But we sold a bunch of lovely junk to a bunch of craaaaazy garage sale hoppers. The fun-factor was high, since the company was great and the people watching was second to none.

Mr. Miller and Ditka, wishing they could hang outside
Lisa, looking right at home with the characters at the sale
















Amy and Ditka, selling like mad


I also took a bit of video of Rory and Matt's little guy, Connor, when he was being especially awesome. Check it out.



I also found this small giraffe in a box of Cameron and Connor's old stuffed toys, and it reminded me so much of this amazing DirecTV commercial, which, if you haven't seen it, check it out. Like, now, please. Because it's so weird.



On Sunday, Trevor and I went to the theater to see Dinner for Schmucks. We were a few minutes too late to see the first show at the River East theater, so we decided to wait a bit for the 600 N. Michigan's first screening. We wasted a bit of time eating a breakfast picnic in the park. It was a beautiful morning, and we didn't feel guilty at all leisurely eating our bagels and cream cheese while all of the hard running half-marathoners, having finished their race, strolled through the sidewalks around us. Amy and Julie had both run the half-marathon and finished very well, beating some celebrities in the process (Al Roker and the Real Housewives' own Kelly Bensimon [a real nutbar if you ask me...]), so we're very proud of them!

After the movie (which wasn't nearly as funny as we hoped it would be and thought it could have been, and after our viewing the previous evening of A Single Man [a really subtle, beautiful, and sad movie] we'd set the bar rather high), we wandered up to Chicago Avenue to take the bus to the Five Star for some late lunch. On our way to the bus, we saw this:



It was outside of a church, and I do believe that it's got something to do with God. I found it a bit strange, but interesting enough.

We enjoyed some drinks at Five Star, once we stopped lolligagging to gape a giant red feet, and a couple of veggie burgers.

Frozen Lemonade (yes, with a bit of vodka) = Perfect Sunday Afternoon Treat

We went home for some rest after working so very hard, and then capped the evening off with the newest episode of Mad Men.

On Monday, Bosco Bork came home! We went to see him after dinner, and he was just as small (smaller, even) and as Benjamin-Buttonly adorable as ever. We didn't take any pictures, but we'll be seeing him again this week (Paula and Greg, I haven't told you this, so hopefully you won't mind if we invade your home...).

The rest of the week trucked on by with my last days of classes for the semester. And here are my absolutely adorable classes:













This weekend, I geared up for my friend Caren's wedding in Lake Geneva. Trevor stayed home with Henry (since our designated dog-sitters, Greg and Paula seemed otherwise occupied with a newborn baby. pshaw.) and I hitched a ride with Mary and Andy. On the way, we made a Brat Stop to indulge in sandwiches and cheese fries. We were by far the best dressed table in the joint.



Caren and her new husband, Tim, looked so lovely and happy at the ceremony, and the reception was loads of fun. The group of us spent the night at our friend Amy's summer house in Delevan, WI, just a few minutes drive from the reception, and the house full of eleven houligans was like having a great big wonderful adult sleepover. Sans pillow-fights and bra freezings, though I wouldn't have put it past some of the rabble rousers. It did include, however, a lively game of late night Catch Phrase. I, personally, laughed so hard during some of the clues that I had tears in my eyes and a stitch in my side. Here's what most of it our day looked like:

The Happy Couple Under Their Huppah

Mary and Lisa

The cake was pretty and delicious!



The view from the Riviera
We're blurry because we're laughing so hard

Amy, tearing up the dance floor

Now, I also took a bit of video of the evening (with my new and improved iPhone second generation thanks to Trevor's acquisition of the newest model--thank you, husband!). In order to best showcase everyone's talents, I chose the Polka footage I shot.




And now I'm home, having been reunited with my fellas earlier this afternoon, and we've been lounging around all day. We watched Man United trounce those Chelsea gorps, and then we took some naps (one each). We ate spaghetti, watched Five Minutes of Heaven--a pretty decent not-revenge revenge movie--and then settled in for another Sunday Mad Men.

Tomorrow, our friend Cat is coming into town (I'm hoping she's bringing her baby, Olympia, with her!), so I'll likely be blowing off more grading to hang out with her and Trevor. We'll have more photos from this week and more news about me finally finishing summer semester (grades are due on Friday, but I'm absolutely turning them in by Wednesday so I can have at least five days off before the fall semester workshop, training, and class hoopla starts), and pictures (and maybe more video) from Lisa and Matt's Air and Water Show Party. Until then, goodnight, Bosco!

No comments: