Thursday, July 24, 2008



Yep, so, I've got myself a nameplate for my new office. I won't get keys to my new office until the second week of August (although I can get into it with the secretary's keys...) but it's still pretty cool. I requested that my title be listed as "Super Hero," instead of "Instructor of English," but I guess the sign guy didn't get the note. The office doesn't have a window, but there are loads of bookshelves upon which I can pile tomes and tomes of teaching materials and robots of various sizes. Now, after a nice long (but quite rewarding) thirteen hour day, I'm sitting here with Trevor and Henry, watching Keith Olbermann on MSNBC (he's so over-the-top and hilarious), drinking a glass of wine (Henry passed on his glass, but that's not stopping Trevor and me) and contemplating dinner.

Last night we met with Dan and the Grants to talk about the restaurant biz. After seeing the Grants' new venture, Logan Bar and Grill, we were thrilled to be able to pick their giant business brains about opening a bar. They were tremendously helpful for Trevor and Dan, and they're still willing to answer the boys' questions in the future, which is a tremendous help. As a bonus, we ate at Crust on Division and it was taaasteee. It's one of the only all-organic restaurants in the state (I think that's the right credential, though I might have gotten it wrong) and specializes in flatbread pizzas. Those were great, as was the bowl of gazpacho I slurped down, and as was the lemon cheesecake. Yum to the tum. Plus, Dan's old chum was the manager and he was awfully friendly to us, which we loved, of course. Afterwards the two boys and I went to Archie's in Dan's neighborhood to talk further shop and have a beer. An enjoyable evening all around.

Last weekend we saw The Dark Knight, and although I didn't spot myself in any of the scenes in which I was an extra (two scenes--look for me, I"ll be tiny, blurry, and short-haired), it was an AWESOME movie. Mom and Dad Bork got to see it at a premiere at the Navy Pier I-MAX; one of Dad's clients is a large machine dealer, so all of the weird machines in the film are his. They didn't enjoy it quite as much as Trevor and I did, but they said it was lot of fun when all of the machinery guys in the audience cheered when they spotted one of their machines. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the X-Files movie (Trevor's opting out of seeing it...) and I'm quite excited about it. I might go for a taco afterwards, and perhaps make a stop at Nordstrom on the way back. The new fall shoes might be on the floor, and I certainly can't go back to school wearing these old and worn flappers. Mulder, Scully, tacos, and new shoes--really, a perfect day. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

I want to believe, my fellow Lone Gunmen.

1 comment:

s said...

Congrats Laura!! Love the sign :)