Saturday, June 27, 2009

Suburban Oddities

On Thursday evening I had dinner with my friend Jen in downtown Crystal Lake. I was a little early, and since I had never really explored the CL downtown area, I wandered a bit before going to the restaurant. And this is what I saw:





Weird, right? This shop was closed, but it looked like a thrift store/regular clothing store/fabric shop/junk shop. I really wanted to go in (morbid curiosity), so I might come back when I have an early afternoon sometime this summer.

My dinner with Jen was fantastic and we were so caught up with chatting that I had to run for my nine o'clock train (the next one wasn't until midnight). Thank goodness I was wearing sensible (but sequined) shoes, and I made it with seconds to spare.

The weather, as I'm sure you all have noticed, has been grotesquely hot this week. But on Wednesday I sat on the roof deck for about an hour (without melting, thank you very much!) and graded papers.

I managed to burn only one small portion of my body: my knees. Strange, right? I had doused myself in 45 strength sunblock, but I was using a clipboard as a hard surface for my papers, and I'm guessing the metal clip reflected the light directly onto my knees. So I had saucer-sized red spots on the center of each of my knees for about three days. They're gone, now. Just in time for me to go back on the roof!

We've got a really pleasant weekend planned. Tonight is dinner at West Town Tavern with friends and then a birthday party at the Five Star bar up the street. Sunday afternoon is Simona's baby shower (I went overboard yesterday with presents...) and then in the evening we get to have dinner with Brenda and Derek, who are in town for the AFSP Overnight walk. We haven't seen them in months, and I can't wait.

Don and Danielle Prabish are also walking tonight (20 miles through Chicago), so I'll be thinking of them and everyone else who is doing this for such a good cause. Part of me wishes I'd gotten myself together to do the walk again this year, but another (more convincing) part of me is happy to just donate, think good thoughts, and then snore the night away.

Have a good weekend, all. Enjoy the weather because it might be snowing on the Fourth of July!

No comments: