Monday, July 23, 2012

Get Outta Town

Trevor and I decided to hit the road this past weekend and drive up to Sturgeon Bay for a preview of our longer getaway with the Power Clan in a couple of weeks. We visited with Jim, Grandma and Grandpa Madel, Uncle Doug and Jean, and we had an all-around lovely time.

One of the most significant things we did was visit a "new" bookstore (it's been there about a year, so we hadn't seen it yet) in downtown SB. It was fantastic. We walked in, quickly realized that we'd need to spend at least an hour there, so we left to get a beer at Poh's Corner and prepare ourselves. We returned thirty minutes later, refreshed and ready to browse.

Heaven


T, checking out some art books

They also sell vinyl, but I didn't have time to go through this: another day


Clementine, the cat, hanging out with her books
 We ended up with a total of five books: T got one, I got the other four (surprise, surprise). I'd found a lot more than that but had to sit down, spread them all out, and decide which ones I really, really, really needed. It was not an easy decision. These were my spoils:

New members of our biblio family
The I Am Legend is not only an excellent book and a great cover, but it's also the book T and I read together, listening on dual headphones, while we took the train ride from Madrid to Barcelona on our honeymoon almost five years ago. The Cujo is my newest King (I collect his hardcovers--really just the ones I read as a kid--and try to get as many first editions as I can), and because I found this one I can get rid of my paperback copy, so it's an even trade and barely counts as an additional book (although since the paperback is a tiny mass market, I might keep it around until I need the shelf space [or I'll take it to campus and use it as an example of "frequently banned and challenged books" for my annual celebration of the ALA's Banned Books Week, and then it'll count as a teaching tool!])

Cujo's new friends

And yes, I did just get a copy of Paco's Story a few weeks ago during my book filled adventure to Evanston, but this one is another first edition in great condition, and because it was only $10, it practically doesn't count at all.

The Rendell was just a great cover by a great writer and I can't wait to read it as soon as I've finished the Rendell I'm currently reading, The Bridesmaid. Although I first have to read the books Grandpa Madel loaned me, two short story collections from Roald Dahl. Thank goodness I still have two weeks until fall semester starts. I have a lot of reading to do.

T already put his spoils away, so I will find them this evening and show them off in a separate post.

All in all our mini-getaway was great. We're already making a list of things we have to get done when we go back in a couple of weeks. And I might have to add another trip to the bookstore.

No comments: