Saturday, January 18, 2014

Missing the Lanes

About ten years ago, my brother, Greg, invited me to join one of the teams in his bowling league. One of his friend's teams was looking for another bowler for the Monday night cosmic bowling league at Waveland Bowl. It sounded like a hell of a lot of fun, and I said yes.

Since that first season I've been a member of X-Factor, a team that makes full fun and takes full advantage of the black lights, lasers, and big hair metal music videos during games. But this is the first year I've had to take a hiatus from bowling because of a very exciting development: I got cast as Sally Bowles in the school spring musical (we're doing Cabaret--I'll have more on this later).

Now, although I'm so excited (and terrified) to be in this play, it was bittersweet; it meant that I couldn't bowl this year because of rehearsal conflicts. So, this is my homage to bowling with my X-Factor fellows, who are a group of fun, goofy, and wonderful people. And I cannot wait to be back at the lanes with them next winter.

X-Factor, 2013 (from left): Marc, Stephanie, me, Debbie, Zach, and Heide

Me and Greg, when he tricked me into wearing a Spurs hat
Wigs! From left: Dan, me, Debbi, Stephanie, and Laura

And then the old wig switcheroo
Stephanie in an  entirely new wig and America bowling arm band

Stephanie and Laura, thinking they might buy some socks out of the sock vending machine (which is a vending machine that should be everywhere, not just in bowling alleys!)

The early years: Zach and Smitty, who now lives in Australia with his lovely wife Liz (also a former teammate) and their new baby (who is probably right now practicing Smitty's signature spin)

Let's take a moment to appreciate Zach's bowling trousers

And my bowling head ornament
In addition to bowling, we were known to eat cheese fries, hot pretzels, and Frazzles (which were an ice cream Blizzard-type shake that were discontinued from Alley Dogs, probably because of the stomach aches they caused), and do a little Dance Dance Revolution.


I think Greg lost a bet. Really.

So, X-Factor, I hope you all bowl well this season. I will be dancing on Monday nights in your spirit, and hopefully eating enough cheese fries to keep me spiritually connected to you.

No comments: