Sunday, September 13, 2009

Camp Power

Last weekend we had a Labor Day holiday at Camp Power in Door County, Wisconsin. All of the Power siblings, their spouses, and John and Fran Power rented a house and we spent a nice long weekend visiting Grandma and Grandpa Madel and Jim, jetskiing, eating, hammocking, bonfiring, fireworking, and puzzeling.













Thankfully there are no pictures of us jetskiing. We had a wonderful time, although I walked like Frankenstein for the next three days (I kinda, sorta, hit some major air before coming down hard on the lake and spilling both me and Trevor off our waverunner...). For more pictures, check out Trevor's photo page.

Although it was a short week after the Labor Day holiday, it was a tiring one. School went well, though my body was still recovering (I really need more exercise). This weekend was an opening at T.'s gallery (some photos are forthcoming), and our friend Adam came to town to visit us. He's currently getting his Photography MFA in Fairbanks, Alaska, and is doing a tour of the lower forty-eight for the week. He flew into Chicago, went up to Milwaukee last night for a friend's wedding, and tomorrow he leaves for up-state New York for a workshop on Collodion, another friend's wedding, and a lunch with photographer Doug Dubois. I got to spend a lot of one-on-one time with him, shopping and breakfasting while Trevor was at work. Tonight the three of us went to dinner at The Publican, which T. and I have been wanting to try. Sunday night is their fixed-price dinner, and while it was good I'm more interested in going back to try something from the regular menu. It was really fish-heavy and the main dish was lamb, a meat that I'm not a huge fan of. The heirloom tomato salad, though, was absolutely gorgeous and unbelievably tasty.

We took the train out last night for my friend Julie's stock-the-bar bridal shower. There were about fourteen of us on the train, which is quite a different ride than my usual solitary commuting experience. The party was a lot of fun, and Julie and Jeremy (the bridegroom) got us all an Escalade limo for the ride home. Yes. I rode in an SUV limo. It was ridiculous and a hell of a lot of fun.



(Trevor does not look thrilled about me and Lisa snuggling with him. I can't imagine why.)



Trevor took some video on his phone of us singing to Pat Benatar. I will not be posting it anywhere. Ever.

It's now twenty to eleven at night, and I have yet to prep for tomorrow's classes. Adam has had me investigating lanyards and watching the U.S. Open. I must now go to fix up a powerpoint and an assignment for my honors class. Enjoy these last days of summer!

No comments: