Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tomorrow, I go to Las Vegas!

My friend Julie Papadia is getting married in November (on my birthday. it's, like, the best present ever.) and we're having her bacherlorette party this weekend in Sin City. I've never been to Vegas and I am so excited that I forgot I still have to go to class tomorrow. I said "Have a great weekend!" to my officemate, Lisa, and she was a bit confused. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about the trip when I get back, but I wanted to leave you with some fantastic images of Henry's new Halloween sweater. Trevor does not approve of it. But Henry told me that it's his favorite piece of clothing, so we're ignoring Trevor.



Last Saturday afternoon, I had supper club with Angie and J.C. at Fat Willie's. We'd gone a while back but Angie wasn't able to get the brisket (it'd sold out), so we took another trip for Hogaritas (yes, they're as good as they sound), brisket (for Angie and J.C.), and ribs (for me). It was scrum-diddly-umptious, though after dinner we hallucinated some flying porkers. Maybe we ate too much?






T. and I also celebrated our two year wedding anniversary on Tuesday (last night). He surprised me with a dinner out at the West Town Tavern after my looong day at work. It was a wonderful surprise and a great dinner. We started with spring rolls and peanut sauce, then T. had the tilapia and grilled sprouts, and I had the special entree butternut squash with couscous, wilted greens, mushrooms, and marscapone cheese. My, my. Yum. We didn't have room for dessert (though this 'peach tart' the waiter spoke up was mighty tempting), and we used the few block walk home to digest our meal. He also surprised me with a tote bag full of yarn! Cotton is the two year anniversary marker, so the tote and the yarn were all cotton. Plus, the tote has a picture of me and Trevor on it!



I had an uplifting teaching day today as well. My honors Comp 1 class is pretty much the best thing since book mobiles. Not only did we have a great Banned Books Week discussion today, but we're working on the chapter on faith and religion, and we had a thirty-five minute discussion full of respectful and thoughtful discourse on organized religion, morals, faith, and God. Yeah, did I mention that these are eighteen year olds? And we were talking about religion? It was glorious. I wish I could have these fourteen students for ever and ever and ever.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I'm finishing laundry so I can pack tonight, and I'd like to paint my toenails so that I don't have scabby green polish for the trip. But what else would expect from a lettuce-headed farmer woman? Not much.

Have a wonderful weekend, and everyone send Trevor a text message or e-mail, or call him because I'm sure he will be so lonely without me that he'll cry on Henry's shoulder all four days. Sure. That's what will happen.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hey Laura!!!! I LOVE your blog!! And, btw, your dad isn't your only reader! I love it! If you don't mind, I'll periodically check in! It was sooo fun to hear how you're doing:) YOU LOOK FABULOUS:) AND...so do your parents...they haven't aged a bit! So fun to hear Julie got married:) And FUN, FUN, FUN that you got to see AMY! I enjoyed seeing pics of Lisa...tell her "hi" from me! Take care and if you're interested, I'll email you an invite to my blog! Not as clever as your writing, but none the less...my happy life with five kiddos and an AMAZING husband:)