Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bo-ling

This past Christmas, I struggled with what to get my nephew Bo. As an only grandchild of four doting grandparents, one doting aunt, and about one thousand additional doting Italian and Greek relatives, Bosco has just about every block, car, thingamabob, and whoseitwhatsit known to mankind. So what do you get the kid who has ev-er-y-thing?

My solution: dates with me, his favorite aunt! (okay, okay, only aunt)

I came up with about a dozen Bo-appropriate outings: eating pancakes, going to LEGOLand, sleeping over at Camp Crystal Lake for fun with his cousin Roo, getting his first tattoo (just kidding, Paula! [Greg, let me know when it's okay to do this]). And today was our bowling date--and it was Bo's very first time bowling!


Greg, Paula, Bo, and I headed over to Waveland Bowl, which is where my league (it's Greg and Paula's league, too) spend their wintery Monday nights. I'm missing my bowling chums this year (read about my amazing teammates here), so it was so nice to spend time at the lanes with three of my favorite Borks.

Now, I will preface this by saying that Bo did great--he bowled a 50, and that's terrific for his first time. But, his first roll wasn't exactly a success:



He recovered quickly with some moral support from mom and dad:

Mom, is this the heaviest? I want the heaviest, please.


Yep, that works.

Dad, you're in my way.

I get another roll? This is a great game!

My ball is not fast-moving. Let's sit down to watch it roll down the lane.

Auntie Laura, it's my turn! I have to bowl!

After our game (and yes, Greg won--he beat me by two stinking points. It's against his DNA to come in second), we spent some time in the arcade, got a balloon sword, and then went to Wendy's for Frosties and french fries: the lunch of bowling champions. On our way home, we had a silly face contest. Bo won.

Hi!



All right, we're done.

Our next date will be in March--our spring breaks line up, so we might go hang out at the park, the art studio, or, um, the tattoo parlor. Whatever. 

No comments: