Monday, February 27, 2006


FROM CHAPTER FOUR...

The man stared at Nando’s chest, then opened his mouth and let out a soft sigh of recognition as he nodded heavily. “Yes,” he said. He was missing a few teeth. “I remember now. Your name, hijo. What is it?” He held out his hand for Nando to shake.
“Reyes. Nando Reyes.”
“Nando,” he said. “Strong name. I had an uncle Nando one time, long ago.”
Nando was light with the handshake, but the man’s hand was oddly firm and tight like a thick knot of rope. “What are you doing these days, old man?”
“Not a lot. I come here to talk with my friend Javi,” he said, nodding at the bartender, who looked up briefly, then went back to reading the Progress Times. “Other than that I don’t do much business no more. Old huesos. Old bones, you know?”


That's a teeny tiny excerpt from the long piece I'm working on. It's been shelved (in my computer) for nearly a year, and I finally dusted it off to work on it. I'm kind of excited and wanted to share it with you all!

We're also anxiously awaiting our tile delivery. We had breakfast with our friends Jeremy and Jenn this weekend--they're the ones who are going to help us install our tile. So everyone's on the tile truck! It's a very exciting truck to be on.

The weekend was nice and relaxing. We watched a terribly depressing, but oddly intriguing moving called The Weather Man, starring Nicholas Cage. Trevor described it perfectly as a movie without a climax, which reminded him of the movie Cage's character in Adaptation wanted to make. The narration in TWM also reminded T. of Adaptation. It was odd. Likeable and horribly awkward at the same time. I don't know if I could recommend it. But maybe I could. Or not. You be the judge.

We also filled up on some Arrested Development, Season One, which made us laugh quite a lot. I made some pancakes (for breakfast) and we ate our Hawaiian pineapple, and we went to the dog park, and we got a fabulous new RECORD CABINET! For all of our vinyl and our turntable; we found it at a store where the owners had found it at an estate sale. And we got it for under $50! What a steal! And now our records are neatly alphabetized (and alphabatized within their musical genre; sorry, I can't control myself.).

Hope we'll have enough action later for a mid-week post. So far, it's been a spaghetti dinner, listening to the new Two Gallants record (marvelous!) eating Girl Scout cookies ('carmel delights, a.k.a. samoas). I can't ask for more out of a Monday night!

1 comment:

Michael said...

thanks for sharing! I love Two Gallants...or what I've heard of them...see yall sunday mmmmmm.