Saturday, February 9, 2008

Antics? Whose antics?

Soooooo, we've had an eventful few days. Wednesday morning was awful outside, weather-wise, and my classes were cancelled at MCC because of the iciness, so I hunkered down with Henry to grade papers and such while it snowed-snowed-snowed.

Thursday I drove over some ridiculously unplowed and unsalted roads in Lake County on my way to school (according to the news, the streets and sanitation department didn't have enough salt for the whole county), and apparently on the way through the icy muck, I ran over a screw. By the time I got out of class at noon, my tire was flat. I got a pretty quick tow and headed back home. The streets were a little better by that time. However, as I was pulling into our garage at home, I got stuck on some ice on my way in, accelerated like a banshee to get over it, and ended up flying into Trevor's scooter, which then flew into the garage wall. Well, this hole didn't look too bad and I figured it could be easily patched up.



Until I got a call from our neighbor (whose unit is on the other side of the garage wall) to tell me that her wall seemed to be buckling. Ah-HA! Seems the scooter handle hit some studs and caused more damage than met the immediate eye.


Paula, wonder-sister-in-law, gave me the name of a couple of contractors she uses, and one of them came out this morning. He's able to start first thing Monday morning, so we're relieved. Luckily, our fabulous neighbor Sarah (whose wall I destroyed) is just about the most understanding person around. She said that she's "driven her share of scooters through walls," (figuratively, of course) and understood. She's pretty awesome.

This morning I drove the car over to the dealership to get a new tire and have our 30K mile check up (whew, that's a lot of driving...) , then let in the contractor to take a look at the wall. Trevor has decided to keep me on as a wife, even with these recent, costly shennanigans. I baked him an Apology Cake, which I think helped. A little bit.



That's all we've got going on so far. We'll keep you up-to-date with any developments. And hopefully none of those developments will include me crashing into walls!

Poooooooowwwwwwwer!

1 comment:

Jeanette Nyberg said...

I admire your ability to run into walls - it makes me like you even more. Plus I like that you can bake half of a cake.